Mastering Projects – Real World Agile in Practice

Course: Mastering Projects – Real World Agile in Practice

in person instructor ledAudience: Executives, Managers, Project Managers, Supervisors
Method: Instructor-led 
Length: 2 days
Credit: 1.5 credit hours

Mastering Projects – Real World Agile in Practice is designed to help students better understand the Agile philosophy. Agile which has gained popularity in recent years as an approach to product development in project environments with considerable uncertainty, high rates of change, complexity and considerable risk. The Agile mindset has spawned several methodologies and frameworks such as Kanban, Scrum, and XP to name a few, but all adhere to some common principles that have been used in the Information Technology (IT) sector for some time, but have now spread to other industries today. The underlying concept for any Agile approach is to focus on delivering stakeholder value by critical decision-making and applying proven project processes as appropriate, while remaining responsive to change.

This course explores managing projects through the lens of a “Real World Agile” view. It includes flexible and pragmatic reviews of variations and overlaps in project approaches and techniques such as waterfall, Agile, Scrum, and Kaizen practices to provide the participant with a practical application orientation for the pros and cons of each. Using interactive group workshops within the course, students will experience all of the core Scrum practices end-to-end using a project scenario. This will include applying creative techniques for estimating, prioritization and story identification. The course is facilitated by an experienced and certified Agile Coach. Students are encouraged to engage with one another and share experiences, examples and questions to leverage the learning experience.

This course’s approach is not typical of many other introductory Agile and Scrum courses. Approximately 25 percent of the time will be spent on the “what” and “why” behind Agile and Scrum and the remaining 75 percent on “how” to put this into practice. The course will take students through an end-to-end lifecycle from “release planning” to “production release.” Specific topics include:

  • Agile Overview
  • the Agile Team
  • the Agile Planning Framework
  • Understanding the Customer
  • Product Roadmap
  • Creating the Product Backlog
  • Breaking Down EPICs
  • Prioritizing the Product Backlog
  • Sizing Stories
  • Release Planning
  • Story Elaboration
  • Sprint Planning
  • Sprint Execution
  • Closing out the Sprint
  • Adopting Agile Methods

Cross-listed as: MBA 706, BIA 706, CBI 516

Your application to the Creighton Graduate School, Heider College of Business is embedded in the course registration process. You can leverage your education and earn a Badge or Certificate in Project Management and these credits apply towards Creighton’s MBA or MS-BIA graduate degrees, but it is highly recommended that students have several years of working experience and prior business-related coursework before taking this course.

Goal

This course is designed to introduce students to the Agile framework, including fundamental concepts and affiliated methodologies, all while providing experiential learning opportunities via mini-workshops, interactive discussions, case studies, and hands-on group activities based on real world scenarios. The course culminates in the creation of an Agile Roadmap for implementation.

Outcomes/Objectives

Upon completion, students will have had the opportunity to:

  • Explore fundamental concepts of the Agile framework.
  • Examine various Agile methodologies.
  • Compare and contrast different approaches for managing projects.
  • Practice creative techniques for estimating, story identification, and prioritization.
  • Apply all the core Scrum practices end-to-end to a real-world scenario.
  • Begin building a toolbox that includes templates, handouts and forms that will help when managing projects in a dynamic and ever-changing environment.

Scheduled Classes

Apr
26 - 27
April 26, 2018 - April 27, 2018
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Creighton University, Harper Center

This is an experiential learning simulation for applying the concepts for Mastering...