Course: Financial Communication and Interviewing
Audience: Personal financial planners, Business professionals, Coaches, Counselors, Therapists
Length: 8 weeks
This course is designed to develop knowledge and skills for personal financial planners, business professionals, coaches, counselors, and therapists to help them improve their client communication and interviewing skills. This course examines the practical application of advanced communication and interviewing skills. This course introduces students to:
- speaking the language of the subconscious
- the psychology of optimal client experiences (internal and external factors)
- methods of establishing rapport
- exquisite listening™ techniques
- the use of open-ended inquiries, active listening, and summarizing
- understanding client ambivalence to change
- techniques to overcome client resistance to change
- neurolinguistic programming, and
- motivational interviewing.
- To provide an environment conducive to the study of financial psychology using written and oral presentations and applied financial psychology theory and techniques.
- To strengthen students’ ability to understand financial psychology and its implications with regard to financial health of clients and clients’ ability to reach their financial goals.
- To apply theory and technique to gain a deeper understanding of the student’s own personal financial psychology.
- Learn techniques to counteract behavioral finance cognitive and emotional biases.
- Identify strategies to work with client ambivalence and overcome client resistance to change.
- Develop skills to help establish, deepen, and maintain client rapport.
- Demonstrate verbal and non-verbal strategies to facilitate client behavioral change.
- Describe an effective approach to giving advice.
- Learn evidence-based strategies for helping clients improve their financial health.
This is an online course through Creighton University worth 3 credits. It is one of five courses in the Certificate in Financial Psychology & Behavioral Finance.
Week 1: Speaking the Language of the Subconscious
Week 2: The Psychology of Optimal Client Encounters – External Factors
Week 3: The Psychology of Optimal Client Encounters – Internal Factors
Week 4: Establishing Rapport- Verbal & Non-Verbal Techniques
Week 5: Exquisite Listening ™ 101
Week 6: Exquisite Listening ™ 102
Week 7: Exquisite Listening ™ 103
Week 8: Exquisite Listening ™
- Klontz, B., Kahler, R., & Klontz, T. (2016). Facilitating financial health: Tools for financial planners, coaches, & therapists, 2nd edition. Cincinnati, OH: National Underwriter Company.
- Miller, W.R., & Rollnick, S. (2012). Motivational interviewing, 3rd edition. Guilford Press.
- Rosenberg, M.B. (2015). Nonviolent communication: A language of life: Life changing tools for healthy relationships, 3rd edition. Puddledancer Press.
Access to the following YouTube videos