Audience: Executives, managers, supervisors, process experts
Method: Online or in-person
Duration: 1-2 days (can be customized to a 4-hour training)
In this course, participants will learn the definitions of Root Cause Analysis and Mistake Proofing, and learn to leverage visual tools for rapid team collaboration and quick consensus building for sustaining improvements through interactive teamwork. The concept is simple: identify the reason for the problem, and eliminate the reason to prevent a recurrence of the problem. Learn these techniques to prevent recurring issues within an organization. This course is designed to provide participants information and practice in applying generally accepted Root Cause Tools and Mistake Proofing skills.
The workshop is based upon the basic scientific method and tools and techniques that have a foundation in TQM, Lean (Toyota Production Systems- TPS) and Six Sigma. This basic scientific method has its foundation in the idea of experimentation and the use of data. The teaching methodology uses a series of exercises and hypothetical problems to highlight the foundational techniques and allows experimentation with a variety of tools. You will have the opportunity to try various tools to see where each addresses different work groups and types of situations. You will have the opportunity to discuss the differing contexts of mistake proofing, including the human behaviors; as well as experiment with ideas and methods for mistake proofing. The workshop will help you refine your skills and prepare you to achieve top results to improve work performance in operations.
When the workshop is over, learners should be able to:
- Select tools that fit the situation
- Effectively and ethically lead teams in the process
- Create rationally determined solutions to mistake proof and eliminate problems with multiple inputs and variables
We are continually addressing complex processes in business operations. These create variation in output and use resources for control. As humans, we are quick to jump to solutions, but often just put Band-Aids on the problems and create redundancy and waste in our Value Streams. By finding the root cause and implementing processes that help eliminate variation and problems, we can create operations where ordinary people can produce consistently extraordinary results.
The purpose of this course is a systematic approach that:
- Focuses on the causes of problems
- Identifies direct causes
- Detect associated or contributing causes
- Uses data to determine the root cause
- Provides a questioning approach to test potential causes to truly find and eliminate them
- Looks objectively at alternatives and options to decide on solutions
- Use objective criteria to determine reasonable numbers for return on effort
- Builds trust & involvement for self-empowered teams to use a scientific approach to continuously improve work