Course: Advanced Lifestyle Medicine (HWC 591)
Length: 8 weeks (2 credits)
Lifestyle medicine is the use of healthy lifestyle behaviors to prevent and treat chronic diseases. In this course, students will consider comprehensively applying lifestyle medicine strategies to healthy individuals, to those with chronic diseases, and as part of a self-care program. Students will also consider lifestyle medicine as its own medical explanatory framework for disease, illness and health.
Badges and Certificates
Advanced Lifestyle Medicine is one of is one of the courses that lead to the Lifestyle Medicine badge. It is also one of the courses that can lead to the Lifestyle Medicine Graduate Certificate.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Compare and contrast lifestyle medicine and whole person health.
- Recall the current recommendations for physical activity, healthy eating, sleep, and alcohol consumption.
- Describe the effects that lifestyle medicine can have on the prevention, management, and reversal of certain chronic diseases such as hypertension, diabetes, obesity, and heart disease.
- Describe lifestyle medicine as its own medical explanatory framework for disease, illness and health.
- Design and implement a self-care program.