Betty R. Ferrell, PhD, MA, CHPN, FAAN, FPCN, is being honored as the 2021 Distinguished Scholar. Dr. Ferrell is professor and director of the Division of Nursing Research and Education at City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center in California. Dr. Ferrell is also the founder and principal investigator of the End-of-Life Nursing Education Consortium Project and the co-chair of the National Consensus Project for Quality Palliative Care.
Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, and Physicians
Jointly Provided By
Keynote Presented by Betty R. Ferrell, PhD, MA, CHPN, FAAN, FPCN
Dr. Ferrell has been in nursing for 42 years and has focused her clinical expertise and research in pain management, quality of life, and palliative care. Dr. Ferrell is the Director of Nursing Research & Education and a Professor at the City of Hope Medical Center in Duarte, California. She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing and she has over 450 publications in peer-reviewed journals and texts. She is Principal Investigator of a Research Project funded by the National Cancer Institute on “Palliative Care for Patients with Solid Tumors on Phase 1 Clinical Trials” and Principal Investigator of the “End-of-Life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC)” project. She directs several other funded projects related to palliative care in cancer centers and QOL issues. Dr. Ferrell has been honored with one of the highest honors in health and medicine, an invitation to membership in the National Academy of Medicine, which recognizes individuals who have demonstrated outstanding professional achievement and commitment to service.
Workshop: Building a Culture of Palliative Care
Thursday, April 8, 2021 | 12:00 - 1:30 p.m. CST
- Describe the barriers to integration of palliative care in health care settings
- Identify elements of a positive palliative care culture
- Discuss strategies for culture change to effectively integrate palliative care
Keynote: Building a Program of Clinical Research: Getting Started
Thursday, April 8, 2021 | 6:00-7:00 p.m.
- Describe the trajectory of identifying research topics to implementing large scale studies
- Identify steps in building a focused program of research
- Recognize the value of pilot work to strengthen research
Keynote: Educational Research: Advancing Knowledge and Measuring Educational Outcomes
Friday, April 9, 2021 | 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. CST
- Describe challenges in educational research
- Describe a program of educational research in palliative care
- Discuss the selection of outcome measures for educational research