This course is designed for the novice clinician/ student interested in pelvic floor rehabilitation. The participant will be instructed in pelvic floor examination, treatment, commonly used outcome measures and billing. The course will include internal pelvic floor assessment methods in addition to manual therapy and other modalities commonly used in pelvic floor rehabilitation.
During and upon completion of this course the student will engage in activities that lead to the following behaviors and learning experiences:
- Describe the urogenital system in a normal functioning adult.
- Identify common bladder and pelvic floor pathologies occurring in the women’s health patient.
- Screen patient’s dietary and toileting habits and Identify common medical interventions for management of bladder dysfunctions.
- Perform a pelvic floor examination on a women’s health patient.
- Apply biofeedback, electrical stimulation and ultrasound imaging techniques for pelvic floor dysfunctions.
- Discuss common bladder tests and measures for identifying pathology.
- Recognize common bladder dysfunctions in the pediatric patient.
- Apply physical therapy treatment interventions for bladder and pelvic floor.
- Discuss documentation and payment issues specific to the women’s health patient.
Julie Peterson, PT, DPT, WCS, BCB-PMD
Is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Physical Therapy at Creighton University. She has been working with patients with pelvic floor dysfunctions, including bowel and bladder dysfunctions for over 20 years. Dr. Peterson serves as a mentor in the Women’s Health Residency Program at Creighton University, the Director of PT Residency Programs at Creighton University, as well as a clinical instructor for entry level DPT students. Dr. Peterson is the Director of Creighton Therapy and Wellness, a specialty faculty practice in women’s health.
Kari Bargstadt-Wilson, PT, MPT, WCS, CSCS
Is an instructor in the department of physical therapy at Creighton University. She has been working in the area of women’s health for over 23 years. Specifically, her areas of specialty are urinary and fecal incontinence, chronic pelvic pain, and bowel/bladder disorders. Ms. Bargstadt-Wilson serves as a mentor in the Women’s Health Residency Program at Creighton University as well as a clinical instructor for entry level DPT students.
Webinar (8 hours)
- Pelvic Floor Anatomy
- Bladder and Bowel Physiology
- Introduction to Pelvic Floor Dysfunctions
- Medical Management of Urologic Conditions & Urologic Tests
November 6, 2020 (5 hours)
Welcome and Introductions
Review of Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
Pelvic Floor Examination/Treatment- Lecture and Lab
November 7, 2020 (8.5 hours)
Stim and Biofeedback Lab
Lunch & Case Studies
High Tone Pelvic Floor Dysfunctions
Pulling it all Together
Evaluations & Adjournment
Participants must complete the webinar series prior to the in-person didactic portion on November, 6, 2020. Participants must pass with at least an 80% on the post-test and email the certificate of completion to Julie Peterson at juliepeterson [at] creighton [dot] edu.
Physical Therapists: $525
Physical Therapy Students: $300
Note: Due to the sensitive nature of this course, all male registrants must provide their own live female model to act as patient.
All attendees will be required to bring their own PPE, go through a COVID-19 screening, and sign a community standards agreement. Please do not attend the in-person portion if you present with any of the symptoms consistent with COVID-19 on November 6 or 7. Please let us know if you present with a temperature of 99.9 degrees or greater as you will not be able to attend the in-person portion of the class. Should a participant be unable to attend the in-person portion of the course, a refund for the in-person portion will be provided.
Credit is pending through the Nebraska Chapter of the American Physical Therapy Association.
Location and Accommodations
The workshop will be held at Creighton Therapy and Wellness located at 17055 Frances Street, Suite 100, Omaha, NE 68130. Should you need hotel accommodations, there are several hotels close to the clinic:
Hampton Inn Omaha West- Lakeside
17606 Arbor Plz, Omaha, NE, 68130
View hotel information
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Omaha West
17240 Wright Street, Omaha, NE, 68130
View hotel information